Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Decider decides the preznit can do no wrong - ever

In the must read of the day The Boston Globe posts a stunning review of the extent of the presidential hubris. Shorter version: Bush, via the imperial signing statement, has declared himself above the law over 750 times, holding himself as the final arbiter of constitutionality. He's decided that one out of ten bills that reached his desk didn't pass muster and wrongfully usurped his executive power. This is why he hasn't bothered to veto anything. He just signs it and ignores it, especially the parts that were offered by himself as compromises in order to get the bills passed in the first place.

Patriot Act safeguards? Forget it. Those were just for the public ceremony. He had his fingers crossed the whole time so they don't count. Military surveillance of civilians? He'll sign the ban for the cameras but don't expect it to stop. As a matter of fact, any provision that calls for explanation, documentation, or oversight of any kind over his decisions are really going too far. It's all too surreal. Is this my country or did I wake up in a Fellini movie?

I urge you to read the whole piece. There's a very interesting connection to these signing letters and Alito. I also have a post up at DetNews with more thoughts and as always Glenn Greewald has an excellent analysis on the greater meaning of this breathtaking grab for unlimited executive power.
Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it feels just like Caligula...

11:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, I haven't listened to the Presidential Oath of Office all that many times, but I'm pretty sure it says, "I will defend the Constitution. . ." not, "I will rewrite the Constitution. . ."

Am I wrong?

I must be wrong.

I'd emigrate to some other country, but that would just be one of those frying pan-to-the-fire deals. Dammit.

4:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belize is very nice and it allows dual citizenship so you don't have to lose your US passport....

6:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duly noted.

2:34:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

My teeth are fine Kevin and I don't want any tattoos or the rest of your quackery.

Your teeth on the other hand are going to be in your lap if you keep pissing me off like this. . .

10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, if you could find these guys I'll help you... I just keep deleting.

10:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home