Monday, July 31, 2006

Ceasefire off to a bad start

I'm working today and it's been a busy one so I won't be doing any real posting until later tonight. I did manage to post a quick dig this morning at my idiot co-blogger at the Detroit News, JD, whose gone from incomprehensible to downright scummy. He's apparently learning the ropes at the feet of the slavering brain dead fans of LGF.

I would have simply ignored him as usual, since generally he's so incoherent, any sane person would discount him out of hand but he actually out right lied in a post and I couldn't let that go without remark.

It's barely worth reading the exchange, but I don't want you folks to miss the link to what I thought was the best editorial I've seen on the Israel-Lebanon debacle, which was written by BuzzFlash. I thought they put the issues into focus really well.

They overcame what has been the most troubling for me, the sense of defending Hezbollah, which I don't want to do, while still making clear why Israel's actions have been unacceptable to a civilized society.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks for pointing me to the BuzzFlash editorial. This line sums up my opinion:

You can't win a war against guerillas by bombing them into submission, unless you want to take a whole country out with them.

On someone else's blog yesterday there was an argument taking place on whether or not it was fair for Israel to bomb innocent children and civilians. The pro side claimed Israel was justified because Hezbollah used those people as human shields and they were simply collateral damage. War is ugly is what it boiled down to.

The con side (including me) believed the violence was only going to inflame the situation more and make is worse. Our position was also in a minority.

My position is that even if Hezbollah uses children as human shields it doesn't justify killing those innocent people. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, BuzzFlash is right - an air war is overkill. It's time to go back to the way war used to be waged by putting boots on the ground. That's the only way to reduce the number of innocent civilian deaths.

By the way, I never read things JD posts anymore. He hasn't made a coherent statement in quite some time.

3:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my thinking as well Kathy. It's not that I want to Hezbollah to succeed at their mission but as far as I can tell Israel is helping them do it, not preventing it from happening with this ill-advised response. I think the trouble is our militaries are being run by guys who don't understand how to fight a guerilla war.

6:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home