Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Psalms and omens

This little item had me reading the Holy Bible today. A construction worker in Ireland spotted an ancient text while he was digging in a bog. "The approximately 20-page book has been dated to the years 800-1000." Ironically, "the book was found open to a page describing, in Latin script, Psalm 83, in which God hears complaints of other nations' attempts to wipe out the name of Israel." It's an angry song and asks God to smite the enemies of Israel.

Odd coincidence that, but I'm thinking paper was scarce then and the scribes wrote small so it's likely there's at least four psalms on those two pages. So out of curiousity, I checked the next three. Psalm 84 is "A Psalm of the sons of Korah." It's a song of lament about a man who lives far from the House of the Lord and wishes to be within its hallowed walls.

But Psalm 85 is a song of hope. I liked these passages.
11 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
12 Truth springeth out of the earth; and righteousness hath looked down from heaven.
And Psalm 86 is a song of humility and peace. This passage struck me as apt.
17 Work in my behalf a sign for good; that they that hate me may see it, and be put to shame, because Thou, LORD, hast helped me, and comforted me.
If there is a moral here, I think it's to remember that no one piece solves the entire puzzle.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Cartledge said...

What an amazing find that was. THe psalter I mean :)

9:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really is pretty incredible. Hard to believe it managed to survive in a bog all those years. Kind of like a miracle.

8:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home