Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The trouble with incumbents

There's no love lost between Glenn Reynolds and me. He's been nothing but rude to me since the day I first emailed him. I haven't read him in months but I ran across this and I really have to give his Porkbuster's project a plug today. There's a bill afoot in the Senate that would eliminate anonymous earmarks. Ironically someone put a secret hold on the bill.

The Porkbuster burst is encouraging constituents to get their Senators on record denying that they were the one who put the hold on it. Obviously, the premise is to out the perp who's trying to kill the bill and let the good Senators know we care about it. It's a good project and judging from this response to an inquiry, it's hitting a nerve.

The piece reiterates the same point I've been making for months. Our legislators have forgotten who they work for. They are answerable to us. Some of these politicians have been haunting the hallowed chambers for so long, thay appear to believe they've become the ruling class and needn't bother with the people. And not just on the national level. Incumbents at the state level suffer from the same arrogance. It's really time to remind them who pays their salary.
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I never heard of this before. Thanks for the info. I plan on checking in with Porkbusters to see how if my Senators responded.

Side note: I think I recently read that Reynolds have up his MSNBC blog. No loss in my opinion. I think he's a bit rude too - not to mention puffed up on his self-importance.

10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oops! I really need to start proofing before I hit publish. Sorry for the typos.

10:17:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I like this project which is why I'm linking to it. Plus it doesn't link directly to Mr. Rude.

He's definitely puffed up on his own importance. I didn't know he gave up the MSNBC blog but he's got a lot of different outlets. I don't read any of them unless someone else links to it.

LOL on the typos. I never notice them myself. One of my old bosses was such a bad typist that you needed a English-Martian dictionary to decipher his emails. Everything else seems easy to read after him.

11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Regarding my typos, I should know better since I'm a medical transcriptionist! In my defense, I use a medical spellchecker and the one built into Word before a report leaves my computer, which I think is part of the problem - I've gotten so dependent on the computer picking up my errors that I forget I need to check my spelling and typing when I'm online!!

11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be a spelling bee champ and I can't spell for sh*t anymore. Totally dependent on spell checkers. It's true that you use it or lose it.

12:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home