Thursday, January 18, 2007

Quick takes

I have no idea what time I'll get out of here today but here's some links to a couple of videos I've been meaning to post.

Minor Ripper has three very short pieces here that made me want to vomit. I'm sure they're not indicative of the behavior of the majority of our troops, but nonetheless I'm equally certain they are not the only ones who engage in such needless cruelty and these soldiers' conduct does have an effect on how the rest of the troops are perceived. They're not gory, but I found them more disturbing than many much more graphic videos I've seen. Watch at your own risk.

This second link is to a long documentary hosted at Information Clearing House, a BBC production called the Power of Nightmares. I've only managed to watch the first 15 minutes or so but I could hardly bear to click it off once I started. I intend to find the time to view the whole series and would recommend it based just on that short preview. It appears it will trace the roots of the politics of fear from both the Muslim and the neo-con perspective, beginning in the late 40s and continuing to the present day. I have a feeling it's required viewing for anyone who wants to understand how we got into this mess.

Leave a review if you've already seen it. Otherwise, I hope to be back later this evening after I've caught up with today's news cycle.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading an article from 1988 saying that in 20 years france was going to be an islamic state.

5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Looks rather prescient to me Lester. They're still predicting it's going to happen.

6:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home