Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rumor based diplomacy or is Israel crazy?

I've been watching the headlines build on this all morning, but I've been waiting to post because I was sure Cernig would make sense of it and he doesn't disappoint. He knocks down the Telegraph's alarm with a few well placed kicks to the syntax and rounds up the almost immediate denial and the on-line reactions.

The consensus among cooler heads seems to be this is just another case of "leak diplomacy" tactics conducted via well placed false rumors. I'd agree and one would hope we are right about this. The only thing possibly crazier than the US bombing Iran would be to have Israel conduct preemptive bombing and allowing them do it by flying over Iraqi airspace.
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Ahmed, I'm not a scholar of religion and that's too much for me to digest in the absence of greater knowledge. I can't judge the truth of anything. I only offer my opinion that killing in the name of God is unwise and immoral, no matter who's doing it.

6:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help but think of Bible's prophecy of the end times when there will be "wars and rumors of wars." Kind of sad and scary that we all just can't get along. So what happened to my generation of peace lovers? Have they all been taken over by pods?

9:15:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I don't understand the anger either Rocky. I think it's mostly young people though and in a way I can see why they're pissed. The world has become pretty well fucked up since we were young.

Hard to believe in a future when you see the generation in power squandering it.

10:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The world has become pretty well fucked up since we were young." Hey, we were pretty angry back then when we were young and had the energy and talk about fucked up. We had Viet Nam, Kent State, dead civil rights workers and no FOI act. If you ask me, young people today are a pretty apathetic bunch. Once in a while I see a spark, a peaceful protest or organized vigil. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to see them exercise their rights, but it's not too often that happens. Where are the activists in this generation? No Abbie, no Huey among them.
Perhaps it's our generation who failed them by not instilling in them our ideals and social consciousness. Sometimes I miss those days when it seemed like we were changing the world...

10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Rocky I miss the days when it felt like we making a difference too.

10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home