Thursday, March 22, 2007

Signs of real hope in Iraq?

I'm surprised this isn't making more buzz. Cernig uncovers some small reasons to hope for a positive result in Iraq. He notes that Maliki, perhaps goaded into action by rumors of his imminent replacement to be engineered by US overseers, has met with leaders of two very important insurgent groups.

Maliki apparently had fruitful meetings with both Sunni and Shia militia factions, with an eye towards enlisting their support to dismantle the influence of al Qaeda and other foreign factions. This may not be the best news for the Bush administration since both groups still want the US occupation to end, however it does bode well for the potential easing of sectarian violence among the indigineous factions.

I hope Cernig is right. I would love to eat my words about my doubts that Maliki would ever be able to pull this off.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Cernig said...

Hi Libby,

I too have been less than sanguine about Mailiki's ability to find peace in the past and nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong.

It's way too early to tell yet, but if Maliki has ditched the Israeli/US model of counterinsurgency for a more British-in-Ireland style then I think that's definitely the right way to go.

Regards, C

3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It's the first sign of hope I've seen in years Cernig. Great catch.

6:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home