Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Harry Potter Once Again Triumphs Over Ignorance

Today a judge in Georgia ruled that the Harry Potter books could stay in the school libraries.
Laura Mallory, who argued the popular fiction series is an attempt to indoctrinate children in witchcraft, said she still wants the best-selling books removed and may take her case to federal court.
The would be banner of books will probably not be deterred. People who want to subject other people's children to their beliefs usually don't know when to shut up.

Superior Court Judge Ronnie Batchelor's ruling upheld a decision by the Georgia Board of Education, which had supported local school officials.

County school board members have said the books are good tools to encourage children to read and to spark creativity and imagination
Indeed, most books give people in school and out of school what they need more of; education.
The close minded mother had an interesting observation.
"I have a dream that God will be welcomed back in our schools again," Mallory said. "I think we need him."
I have a dream that education will be welcomed back into our schools. I have a dream that these people will actually get a clue and work on those things that are important in school; reading, mathematics and an honest desire to experience thought and ideas that are outside of their normal experiences. These thoughts and ideas are usually sparked by the contents and messages in those things called books.

I have another dream that these people like Ms. Mallory would not expect public schools to teach their children those things that should be taught at home and in church. If this mother feels so strongly about those things she wishes to shield her children from then perhaps she should find a private school that mirrors her beliefs.

Jim Martin

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Michael van der GaliĆ«n said...

I have to say (not on subject), I really enjoy what the two of you are doing here at The Impolitic.

Jim: I don't always agree with what you write, but I have to say, you have proven yourself to be a might fine addition to The Impolitic.

Libby: as usual (we haven't e-mailed in a while), keep it up!

This really has become one of my favorite blogs.

5:54:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

Michael
Thank you and as you can tell by my numerous comments on your site that I too have found your blog to be one I visit often.

6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Michael. For the kind words and the gracious links. You're on my fav list too although I rarely leave comments anywhere these days, I'm a regular reader at mvdg.

7:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the moral police won't be satisfied until every last shred of fantasy and imagination is ground out of the brains of our children. Perhaps they have forgotten the fantasy worlds they discovered. Even Walt Disney wasn't above a little magic! Good vs Evil, friends helping each other and sharing their possessions? What's not to love about these books? Me, I have the full set of Harry Potter books and plan on keeping them for my grandchildren.

7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Martin said...

rocky
There's nothing not to like about Harry Potter.
The battle of good versus evil.

8:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would any mother be against the Harry Potter books? They teach children how to deal with ostracism, how to deal with racism, how to deal with bullies, that learning is crucial to success, that teamwork is valuable, that love triumphs over all....surely they all come under the heading of 'christian values'?

2:51:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

The concept of Christian values is a sham and always has been. Any student of the early Church will see that there is no concept or interpretation that has not had Christians with their hands around each other's throats and indeed, it's still that way. The only common theme is believe, believe, believe whatever it is our sect is saying. That's fine with me, as long as their hands aren't around my throat.

It's time we recognized this as the subversive activity it is.

9:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home