Monday, January 21, 2008

Edwards and Clinton

By Libby

I'm just the soul of comity today. I agree with Josh. I don't see any particular reason John Edwards should drop out of the race other than perhaps wanting a normal life again. Otherwise, as long as he has the money and supporters, he's contributed greatly to the discussion, forcing forward issues that Hillary and Obama would likely have otherwise ignored.

I've never bought into the phony rich guy meme about him, nor do I think he desires to be a kingmaker at the convention either. I believe he genuinely cares about the working class and he's our only true advocate. I for one hope he can stick it out to the end, if only to stick it to our malevolent media. The only reason he's not doing better is that the media hates him and has done everything possible to discredit his concerns.

I also agree that Bill's presence on the campaign trail is a bit over the top. I get that he wants to seen as supporting his wife and to maybe subtly plant the theme that they will be something of a team, but given his status, it is getting to the point where the attention is more on him than her, and presumably, she would be the one in charge this time. It doesn't help her stature when he's charging around like a character from a 50s movie, defending the 'little woman' from her detractors. In a way, it reinforces the whole gender sterotype that a woman isn't strong enough without a man behind her.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that debate was an embarasmment. obama and clinton should be ashamed for indulging in such petty nitpicking over minutia abuot their repsective propaganda. as if it isn't all bs to begin with. theya re all craz if they think this country can afford socialized medicine. they'll ruin us

10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I didn't watch it. I saw one clip on the local news and I was glad I didn't waste the time. She was screaming at him about Reagan and then there was one clip where Edwards says, there's three people here. I assume they gave him no time to talk. Disgusting.

7:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was completely self indulgent.


at thesame time, if she and mcain get their nominations that would put Ron Paul in a good position for a 3rd party run. too bad we lost all our hipster appeal with his raucus good ol boy newsletters

10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I didn't read them but I read the reactions and they were a disaster. I didn't find the excerpts that shocking. They were really old, if I'm not mistaken and I read lots of stuff like that in the early 70s. My ex father in law was a Bircher and an avid reader. He used to give me all his old magazines and newsletters. I mean cripes, that's what us civil rights people were fighting against then.

7:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he has been a one man non beltway libertarian movement for like 30 years, ever since Nixon went off the gold standard. he has appeared with and on the ofrum with some pretty undefendable people, but he's also appeared on FOX news and ed shultz radio show. there is no place he can really go where he is a part of what is going on so he just goes everywhere.

I don't know who wrote his newletters but it doesn't sound like anything he has written or said in congress. just not his style. anyway, we soldier on.

honestly if there was another candidate who was even a fraction as radical anti war, anti state, pro market as he was i'd consider supporting them but the rest of the field is very very VERY establishment

10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm afraid there really is no one in the race that is going to save us. But I still think it's good that RP is in the game.

7:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you are pretty much pro drug war these days? for voting purposes? because I don't hear much on that score coming from anyone besides Paul

3:31:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Unfortunately Lester, much as I love his antiWOsD stance, I'm not a one issue voter.

10:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a candidate who is anti drug war AND whatever your other issues are? who is pro choice and wants to bring troops home from all over the world adding imeasurably to our financial and physical well being?


Do you think that whether george washington had bad breath would be a good reason to not support the american revolution?

11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Don't take it so personally Lester. I don't like any of them and I still don't know what I'm going to do when it comes down to voting.

12:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'll do as i command

10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home