Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sign me up for the Starship Federation

By Libby

So I have surgery in a few hours and will be off line for a couple of days but before I disappear I just want to share my awe about NASA’s Phoenix spacecraft that made a safe and flawless landing Sunday on Mars. There's a good video at the link and I discovered that NASA has its own online TV station now. It appears you can get lots of video there. Also, Nicole has one that adds more context.

People take our space program so for granted nowadays but I'm always astounded by it. We have people who routinely fly the space shuttles to our space station and you barely hear about it, unless something goes wrong. Cripes, I remember when they would practically cancel school so you could watch a liftoff and all the stations covered it live. Of course, that was before cable, but still this is a really big deal and the landing and deployment of the solar shields was just poetic in its beauty. Even if you're not a space geek, watch the NYT video. It looks like a Star Wars movie, but this is really our lives. How cool is that?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Avedon said...

Best wishes, hon.

10:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best to you, Libby and hurry back. We'll leave the light on for ya.

10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

We're all pulling for you

11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks everybody.

1:51:00 PM  
Blogger empty said...

Get well soon Libby.

3:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home