Monday, June 23, 2008

In Memorium - George Carlin

expatbrian

George Carlin, the king of alternative comedy has died at the age of 71 of heart failure. He was perhaps best known for his ''Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television'' routine which became the center of a landmark Supreme Court case.

He hosted his first episode of Saturday Night Live in 1975, and starred in a number of HBO comedy specials over four decades. He also appeared in occasional movie roles, including Dogma and Cars.

In the past 10 years, he achieved success as an author, publishing three best-sellers. The audiobook of his most recent, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?, was nominated for a 2006 Grammy in the Spoken Word category. Just last week, Carlin was named the recipient of the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

To me, Carlin was like a white Richard Pryor, always going where no other comedian dared to tread. He loved to make fun of the church and hold a blow torch under the feet of the Bush administration. He was in a class of his own and I'll miss him.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas,"

I wonder how many people know how much courage it takes to say such things these days. It's one thing to be able to see through the bulshittery we wrap ourselves and out motivations in, but quite another to say it to the world.

It's a shame he's gone now when we need him the most.

9:39:00 AM  
Blogger rockync said...

I will also miss George. He was a funny guy and a brilliant satirist, who considered no subject off limits. He was blunt and scathing and totally unapologetic and I loved him for it.

10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Swampcracker said...

George Carlin's dying words: "Oh shit! I'm fucked."

4:54:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

RIP. He was one of my all time favorites. The seven words skit was a masterpiece.

7:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home