Monday, August 11, 2008

Think I'm in Trouble

Well, I suppose it's time to confess my ugly little secret. I'm unemployed. Two weeks after I signed on for another year on my lease here, based on the assurance that I would have another year's worth of work, I was told that I would be laid off in a month. It's been six weeks now and I haven't been able to find even a crummy part time job. To say I'm unsettled would be to understate the situation considerably. I don't sleep well and I can barely eat.

I'm sad about leaving the old job. I miss the person I was caring for but mostly I'm embarrassed. I haven't had to look for a job in 25 years and it makes me feel like a total loser not to be working. I'm finding the job hunting process incredibly demeaning. I'm not even getting polite acknowledgements of receipt of my resume, much less interviews. Apparently there's not much of a demand for a 56 year old woman, with no real academic creds but 18 years of office management experience who works hard, learns quickly and is a crackerjack assistant.

I'm in a world of grief dear friends. I'm almost $5000 in debt from my operation. I need at least a couple of thousand of dollars in dental work done immediately or I'll probably never get a decent job. On the bright side, I finally got a lead on a good dentist, but I'm going to have to drop my health insurance. They're charging me $750 a month as a single payer. I have a really strict lease that can't be broken. I'm stuck here for the next 9 months in a tiny little town with no social network. I don't have a single friend here since John died. I don't think I've ever felt so alone.

It's really difficult for me to ask for help. I'm used to helping others, not needing it myself, but I really need it now. If you've ever felt inclined to donate a few bucks to the blog, now would be a good time to hit the "Make a Donation" button at the top of the sidebar. If you don't want to use paypal, you can email me for a land address. If you can't donate money, any advice would be welcome in either the comment section or by email as well. Kind thoughts would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathize with you, Libby as I have been in that place. Indeed, that's the place I was in when I moved to Singapore. All I can offer is advice but perhaps you should take a look at Private English Language Schools abroad.

Westerners are prefered because foreign parents can boast that their children are being taught by a native english speaker.

Places to check out, besides Sing. might be Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan or even the Latin American countries.

I specify private schools (not government schools) because they have flexibility in their requirements. Degree may not be necessary.

One way or the other, best to you. Keep us informed.

5:14:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Brian. That's actually one option I considered. In fact it's something I've been thinking about for a long time since I love to travel and would love to live in a foreign country for a while. I actually did a volunteer tutor thing for an ESL program in Noho a while back.

Unfortunately for the next nine months at least, I have to find something to do here. I don't think I can break this lease.

7:01:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

Have you looked at the lease to see if you can sublet? Also, just explaining the situation to the management and stressing the fact that your are unemployed and broke may help in getting out of the lease. Then you can stay here and explore your options. Door is always open...

8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Rocky. The one thing they stressed when I signed up is that you're liable for the duration and the lease can't be broken. Neither can I sublet. It's the worst landlord friendly lease I've ever willingly signed but at the time I didn't care since I had no intention of leaving. But you know what a comfort it is to me to know you're there for me should I end up on the street. Thanks darlin.

9:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They can't get blood out of a rock. And worst case is you would have to pay the lease amount only for the period that the place is vacant after you leave. The landlord cannot legally collect rent from two parties for the same apartment at the same time. So, know anyone who might want to move into it?

5:23:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That would make sense Brian, but I'm not sure that's even true here. I don't know the RE laws in this state, but from what I've heard they definitely skew towards the landlord. Not at all like MA.

In any event, I don't know a soul here and living in the country isn't so attractive to people with the price of gas.

On the bright side I did connect with my departed friend John's old girlfriend who has been very supportive and knows a lot about the area. And a cyberfriend who lives in the big city on the other side of me hooked me up with a dentist I think I'm going to like. So all the good thoughts are really helping. I felt really stalled and now things are moving again.

They say admiting you need help is the first step. It's very difficult for me to admit I need it but since I confessed, it's starting looking a little brighter. The emotional support is even more valuable than money.

Thanks

8:35:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

Actually, I know NC real estate law and what Brian says is true here also. They can only hold you liable for the time the apt is empty and they must actively advertise it. They can write whatever they want into the contract, but most of it just won't hold up. If you send me a copy, I'll have one of the lawyers here look at it and give me an opinion.

11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home