Sunday, September 21, 2008

Quick bytes - Who am I edition

Happy Equinox everyone. Here's the song in my head. One of my favorites by Country Joe and the Fish. Seems to fit my mood today as I contemplate the end of civilization as we know it.

I'm unpacking the financial sector breakdown at Detroit News today. I expect to be the only one posting so you can probably just start at the top instead of messing around with the archives. Meanwhile here's some reading for you on a Sunday afternoon.

Under the heading "holding them accountable", Jay Rosen proposes a project called Spine Watch. It's good as far as it goes, but I'm not sure you can shame the media into doing their jobs. I've been mulling over some other ways to accomplish the same thing, but with the current econ crisis, I'm not ready to unveil it yet. This is at least a start.

I found a new blog via the comment section. Check out Shrimplate. I especially like her Republican Dictionary post. This first definition seems especially appropriate today. "'Capitalism' means flushing billions of dollars down the drains of failing corporations and allowing the perpetrators to walk away with their golden parachutes." Read the rest at the link.

The financial meltdown has everybody pissed to the point of profanity. Even the always civil, Dan at Pruning Shears, drops the F bomb on the bailout.

On a completely different note, and unfortunately, likely to be lost in the bailout coverage, is this very important bill making taxpayer funded, government research unavailable to the taxpayers under an odious interpretation of the copyright laws and against the wishes the authors of the studies. We pay for it, we should get to see this stuff. If you have a moment, contact your Congresslizards and tell them to kill this bill. Contact info on my sidebar.

Moving on to some comic relief, the Ron Pauliacs have taken a step beyond cooperative cluster living. They're creating their own utopian society in the rural reaches of Texas with Paulville. It's actually rather pretty, in a bleak sort of way.

And they say art therapy is good for stress so it's make your own eye candy today with this fun little art pad. The tools are little limited but I find the results rather satisfying. I've done a couple of paintings that look pretty good for someone with no talent whatsoever. Try it out. It's soothing.

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home