Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Housesitting

So I've been tied up most of the day getting settled into this dogsitting job I'm doing for a week. It's a good gig. The house is really nice and the neighborhood is even nicer. It's an old established development and the lots are huge. It's not a drive through neighborhood, the streets form a huge circle with some dead end spokes off one end and the houses are all different so it doesn't have that cookie cutter McMansion vibe. Fully two thirds of the land is undeveloped and is still all woods. I had a great walk with the pup earlier.

I saw and heard so many birds and at one point a single crow scolded us repeatedly for disturbing his quietude. But the best part was seeing the family of deer cross the road. Papa, mama and three youngsters. It was really grounding. I needed that.

I'm settled in now for the night in the study with a warm pup lying on my foot. It's nice to have a dog around. I'd forgotten what good company they are. He's a good old boy, very low maintainence but jeebers, he does let loose some stinky farts when he's napping.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger rockync said...

All in all, sounds like a decent gig - well, except the dog farts!
EWWWWWWW!!!

10:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also settled in for the evening at my dog-sitting/house-sitting gig, and it's also woodsy, with deer and squirrels and other critters, with few McMansions, and proximity to open space and fire roads for hiking. Wait: are you me? No, that can't be right. My dog is a girl dog, and farts only rarely.

There's a pool and a patio/deck, with low pathway lights that I've turned on. The pool is unheated, of course, and one would swim only if kinda suicidal, but I like having the pool light on because it's like an aquamarine jewel in the misty evening. Sometimes the being poor aspect of my life seems pretty gosh darn remote, you know?

10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Rocky. He doesn't do it that much but the first time I had to check and make sure he didn't just poop on my foot.

Larkspur, that's really spooky that we got such similar gigs. I have a sunroom and a outdoor hot tub. It was too cold to go out there to get in though. I know what you mean about the pool light. I love just looking at the pool at my McCompound at night for the same reason.

10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Life is sweet. Somehow I rarely turn the pool light on, but an autumn night, a fire, some music. . .

I'll be without family tonight for the first time in - well ever. My mother passed away in April and my Dad is with his brother in Arizona, my Son is in Shanghai and My daughter in Chicago. We will be dining with friends.

Yes, life is sweet and sometimes having friends makes it that way.

Have a good one.

11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Life is change Fogg. Hope you had a wonderful holiday all the same.

8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I did, thanks. The least stressful one ever.

11:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home