Sunday, April 26, 2009

The future of Twitter

I still can't quite wrap my head around the Twitter thing. I can see why it might be fun, but for someone like me it's clearly a time suck to be avoided. However, NTodd discovered an application for it that could be a great public service. "Adam Wilson, a doctoral student in biomedical engineering, has developed a way to post messages on Twitter using electrical impulses generated by thought."

As the article points out, "The development could be a lifeline for people with 'locked-in syndrome' -- whose brains function normally but who cannot speak or move because of injury or disease." Incredible really. As NTodd said to us skeptics, "you don't know exactly what you can do with new technologies until you start frittering around with them. The phone wasn't obvious; the radio was scoffed at. And now look..."

I stand corrected.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home