Tuesday, April 28, 2009

State secrets shot down

The Obama administration's DOJ has been a bitter disappointment so far. I did a post earlier today at DetNews on their amicus brief seeking to overturn the Sixth Amendment protections established in Michigan v Jackson. That case established the rule that police may not question suspects who have requested an attorney, or already have counsel.

Now Glenzilla tells us that the 9th Circuit didn't buy their wholesale embrace of the state's secret defense in the case brought by five victims of the CIA's rendition and torture program. That's good news.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
I dunno. If they can't continue questioning suspects without counsel, what good is torture?
.

6:34:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Cosa. Sadly, I'm afraid that's their thinking too.

7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
Look, if you watch TV, you know everybody they arrest is always guilty. Of something. They just have to find out what, and make them admit it. They only have an hour, and they're running out of plot devices. Torture could give them a new lease on life, like it has for "24."

I just wish they'd torture more attractive people. I have some ideas on the subject. I should write up a treatment. Is that what they call it at DOJ? A treatment?
.

12:52:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I think that's the Hollywood term. I think the DOJ uses enhanced assistance.

1:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home