Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Why I stopped reading about health care reform

I've done most of my health care reform posting at DetNews where the reader base needs to be convinced of the necessity of immediate action, but I've stopped posting about the proposed bills because all I've seen for months is speculation and "color commentary" like this about Reid's announcement yesterday:
Only Dana Milbank could write an entire column about the "proposal" Harry Reid laid out at yesterday's press conference without explaining what Reid actually proposed: That the health reform bill he is sending to the CBO will include a public option giving the states the choice to opt-out. Since that policy detail pretty much undermines his entire column, it's not surprising that he left it out. After all, Milbank's columns are about the story, not the facts.
To be fair, I believe pressure from liberal progressives did have a lot to do with keeping the public option alive, but I doubt that was the sole reason Reid surprised us yesterday. Thinking it's more likely those 300,000+ phone calls generated by Obama's tweetathon had a lot more to do with it. And of course, the plethora of polls that show a majority of Americans support a public option choice. But in any event, we're still pretty far from a final bill. I just can't bring myself to waste a lot of energy getting excited by media speculation. After all, these are the same people who pronounced the public option dead only a couple of months ago because some angry right wing shoutragers were bussed into town meetings.

Of course, if you enjoy reading this stuff, Memeorandum has it all.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Farley said...

I've stopped reading about it all, too. I mean, if you don't already know what the basic issues are, you've not been paying attention.

Also, it's useless to try and convince others that healthcare reform must happen soon and it must be a fundamental overhaul.

Most people opposed to what the proposals are had their minds made up for them by Rushco long ago, and they're still spouting the same talking points from 8 months ago, one of which is "we need to take our time".

I'm also sick of hearing "I don't want the government running/ruining healthcare!"

There are a bunch of idiots who don't deserve to get what they really deep down know they need, but are unwilling to help out their fellow man, mostly and ironically on Christian principle, of course.

4:55:00 PM  
Blogger rockync said...

I too have given up reading and fighting about healthcare.
I've either emailed/called my elected officials and made my views known.
I've argued the issue ad nauseum and I'm done. The line is drawn and most folks have chosen their sides, now it's up to congress to do the people's will - I'm not holding my breath.

8:10:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

FO, so true. The unconvinced at this point will never listen to facts.

Rocky, it does feel like it's beyond influencing, at least for the moment. But all the noise we made did keep the PO alive - so there's that.

12:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home