Thursday, November 12, 2009

Chance Encounter with the President

Mark Knoller passes along this link to an engaging NY Daily News story about a chance encounter between President Obama and an off-the-clock reporter who was in Arlington Cemetery yesterday, visiting the grave of a friend.
I'm sure the cynics will assume this was just another Obama photo-op. If they'd been standing in my boots looking him in the eye, they would have surely choked on their bile.

His presence in Section 60 convinced me that he now carries the heavy burden of command.
Really worth reading in full. It's not long, and I found it moving. Not to mention, it validates my thoughts from yesterday that right or wrong, Obama is clearly weighing the human costs of his decision on Afghanistan.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger The Grand Panjandrum said...

When Obama sent 21,000 additional troops to Afghanistan in the Spring I wondered at the time if he had had time to fully consider that move. With so much on his plate (banks, economy, auto industry, etc) he didn't have the luxury of putting it on the back burner. He is who we thought he would be, a guy who weighs and considers the very real impact of his decisions on the lives of the average citizen. It wasn't that long ago he was just a guy with a funny sounding name.

Good for him. I'm glad he's president.

1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That was my take at the time as well Grand P. I was willing to cut him some slack the first time and I've stopped freaking out at every media rumor since then. I'm glad he's president too. We could have done much worse.

1:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home