Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sometimes I hate the First Amendment

Well, not really. I've been a huge advocate for First Amendment rights all my life, but I do hate that people use it in such ugly ways sometimes. Nonetheless, the SCOTUS rules correctly in this one no matter how much I hate the protected speech.
In a major and muscular First Amendment ruling, the Supreme Court on Tuesday struck down a federal law that made it a crime to create or sell dogfight videos and other depictions of animal cruelty.
Certainly I think people who torture animals should be subjected to the same treatment themselves, but as always, free speech has to be protected for everyone, no matter how vile, or no speech is truly protected. Also, as someone pointed out somewhere today, allowing these videos may make it easier to find and prosecute the perps for animal cruelty.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home