Friday, January 21, 2011

Finally - No Palin February - Updated

I don't know what they did with the real Dana "dickwhisperer" Milbank but this is the third column in a month that didn't make me retch. In fact, I'm totally with Milbank on this:
But today is the first day of the rest of my life. And so, I hereby pledge that, beginning on Feb 1, 2011, I will not mention Sarah Palin - in print, online or on television - for one month. Furthermore, I call on others in the news media to join me in this pledge of a Palin-free February. With enough support, I believe we may even be able to extend the moratorium beyond one month, but we are up against a powerful compulsion, and we must take this struggle day by day. [...]

It's impossible, I figured, because Palin is a huge source of cheap Web clicks, television ratings and media buzz. If any of us refused to partake of her Facebook candy or declined to use her as blog bait, we would be sending millions of Web surfers, readers, viewers and listeners to our less scrupulous competitors. [...]

And so I pledge to you: Sarah Palin's name will not cross my lips - or my keyboard - for the entire month of February. Who's with me?
Of course, up until this week, I've been on board with this pledge for months now. But considering Josh Marshall's recent excuses for covering Palin, I don't have much hope it's going to work, or even that Milbank will stick to the pledge. It's all about the click$$$.

Update: Dana's pledge got more attention than I expected. In comments, Southern Beale says she'll join the embargo. Democratic Daily and Outside the Beltway are in. The Nation is out. They want the clicks. Andrew Sullivan is unsurprisingly out. I didn't think he can kick his Palin addiction and neither does he. Meanwhile, our favorite marsupial, skippy, is in and created a great logo.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

Perhaps it's a trend that will take off ... one can hope!

1:10:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Got my fingers crossed SoBeale.

1:29:00 PM  
Blogger rebas said...

I only wish the rest of the media were as forward-
thinking as you. Palin should have fallen of their
radar after losing the 08 election. Keep pressing and maybe a No Palin February may sprout a new
holiday.

5:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home