Monday, January 24, 2011

If called, Biden will serve

Oh, how happy it would have made me to have been in this pool.
Mr. Biden’s office announced his jury duty in an e-mail message, which read, “The Vice President will participate in the standard jury selection process in his capacity as a private citizen.” [...]

“I don’t consider myself different than any other person,” Biden told The News Journal. “It is an honor to be a part of the system.”
Unlike most people, I've always wanted to be on a jury. Once I actually got as far as sitting in the jury box but the prosecutor recognized me and struck me on pre-empt. In my work for local defense lawyers, I was a regular around the courthouse. Ironically, one of partners in my law firm was actually seated in a criminal trial. Apparently they didn't recognize her because she's a divorce attorney and the courthouses are separate.

But mostly, my jury experience had been more like Justice Kagan. I've been summoned probably a dozen or so times in my life but I've never been called to serve. Thinking if it ever happened, it couldn't get any cooler than being seated on the same jury as Biden.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

I sat on a jury once. The case was a lame, redneck crime. Some good ol' boys went fishing (for real), came home and cooked up their fish, drank some beer, somehow guns got involved (for real) and one redneck shot at the other redneck's double wide.

Not making any of it up.

The only thing I got out of it was a pretty decent recipe for fish baked in tinfoil.

9:12:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Some cases are more interesting than others SoBeale, but still, I worked on other side of the box for so long, I really wanted to experience it from inside. And you never know, it could be a good case The first case I worked on at that firm was the Abby Hoffman/Amy Carter CIA on Trial case.

10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I was an alternate jurist once. A disappointing lesson in the total, uncaring ineptitude of courts, public defenders and juries. It was a total, open and shut demand for acquittal and in three words I could have ended it, but I was an alternate and could not speak. Not only was the jury too stupid to notice that the prosecutions assertions were impossible, but the bailiff told the jury that the accused was a bad guy and should be convicted. They did that.

10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, yeah I know it's usually awful. Get your justice for money and your jail sentence if you don't have any. Part of the reason I got out of the business.

6:56:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Fortunately a jury member reported the bailiff and the case was retried - I don't know how it came out, but when a man's life hinges on testimony that a woman sitting in a VW beetle could see and identify the caliber and make of a gun on the lap of a man sitting in a Ford Econoline Van - that the woman ran over a mile across an open field when she weighed over 350 pounds and could see the "smoke" from a .22 pistol from a mile off, has no witness to corroborate her story AND HIS ATTORNEY DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING there's something wrong indeed.

10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hmmm. THought I answered this yesterday. Guess it didn't publish. All I can say is "southern justice" is apparently even worse than the northern version I witnessed back in the day.

10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home