Saturday, February 23, 2013

The 100 million protest march

Chances are you didn't see this story on your TV news stations. I only saw it because I caught an odd RT in my twitter stream. My google-fu tells me it was barely covered by the high profile US news orgs even in print/online. But Al Jazeera was there:



If you can't watch the video, the workers of India have had enough of being exploited by the owners and the politicians.
As many as 100 million Indians angry about high prices, low pay and poor working conditions walked off their jobs Wednesday as a two-day strike organized by 11 major trade unions closed banks, disrupted major transportation and reportedly saw two deaths, Al-Jazeera reports.

The strikers want a legal minimum wage, fairer contracts, better working conditions and a halt to outsourcing of public jobs to the private sector.
Doesn't sound so different from the current state of our country.

Worker solidarity will get any government's attention. Wondering how bad it will have to get here before the exploited workers of America take to the streets.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger The Moderate Nation said...

I think the low pay is part of what got them into the category of developing nation. I'm interested to see what happens to Al Jazeera once they start reporting in the US.

3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

So am I. Don't actually have much tv access, no cable, but this is second time I've seen an AJ news report and I'm impressed with the level of their reporting. Reminds me very much of CNN when it first started. So refreshing to get real world news.

3:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Take to the streets? Here?? 'MURR'KINS?!? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...Thank you, I needed that!

3:37:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Admit it will take a while before they get hungry enough, probably not in my lifetime. But it could well happen someday.

1:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I meant no disrespect, your post just caught me in a cynical moment...

6:03:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

No worries. That was my reaction when I wrote it too.

9:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home